Tuesday 20 September 2011

Smudge This


My house has been on the market for 3 months. It's been a long and emotional process. So when someone suggested I try burning sage to 'rid the house of bad energy' after some initial scepticism I researched this theory (called smudging) and kept it in the back of my mind for several weeks until I was ready to give it a go.

Then late last week I figured it can't hurt, right? So on Friday, I went to a new-age crystal shop called The Eternal Spirit and bought myself a smudging stick..

Before I go on any further and lead you to believe that I've gone crazy, let me explain the theory -
Smudging is a ritual way to cleanse a person , place or an object of negative energies, spirits or influences. The smudging ceremony involves the burning of special, sacred plants and herbal resins, then, either passing an object through the resulting smoke, or fanning the smoke around a person or place. The spirit of the plant then purifies whatever is being smudged.
Read more here

My smudging stick was a combination of dried herbs, each with a different purpose in the 'cleansing' process:

Cedar (Libocedrus descurrens, Thuja occidentalis). 
This plant can also be used to purify, especially for negative emotions.

Sweetgrass (Hierochole odarata) 
This is one of the most sacred herbs used for smudging. This herb is used to bring positive energy in after negative energies are banished by using sage.

White Sage (Salvia apiana) 
This plant will drive out negative energies, spirits and influences. Use this as a smudge to purify people and places before any sacred ceremony. 

Lavender (Lavandula officianalis) 
This herb will restore balance and create a peaceful atmosphere. It will also draws loving energy and spirits.


I took a very casual approach to the smudging ritual and asked mum to assist me.. You know, because I'm sure Parental Guidance is Recommended!! After all, you set the smudging stick alight and fan the smoke into every corner of every room.

Anyway, following the smudging ceremony on Friday night, I realised that I've got a whole new outlook on the 'House Sale Process' - I'm now ready to see my house sell. Ready to move out and on to new adventures and somewhat at peace with the previous chapters of my life. I guess you could say that I have turned a corner.

Mum and I spent the weekend relishing in my new positive attitude. And come Monday morning I took my new positive outlook to work with me along with a brighter wardrobe away from my usual all black ensembles. (Miss Pip, you would be so proud of me).

So now let me share with you some Happy Tuesday images in line with my new positive attitude....







Images courtesy of Pinterest

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...