Tuesday 7 June 2016

just add jam and cream

I know what you're thinking...


Something like 
"Andie, where have you been? It's been so long since we heard from you"

Or 
"I've missed your oh-so-inspirational words of wisdom... why haven't you been writing more regularly"

Or perhaps more likely 
"What is the recipe for the scones you made on the weekend and posted on Instagram?"


Since I'm the girl who adds easy things like 'Write to do list' on my To Do list just so I can tick it off, it will come as no surprise that I'm going to tackle that last question first. 
Not just because it's the easy one.. But also because these scones were delicious and I am a caring/sharing kind of girl.


W I N T E R   I S   P E R F E C T   S C O N E   S E A S O N

scones >> STARTS WITH CUPCAKES

Scones were my Nan's speciality;
And being the anniversary of her death last week, I was feeling nostalgic.(I can still hear her voice in my head when I work the mix by hand - "GENTLE!")
But I have misplaced the handwritten recipe she gave me many years ago.

Every recipe I found on Google 
(from taste.com.au, Donna Hay and all the other usual suspects) 
required butter, but I knew butter wasn't an ingredient in Nan's scones.
Then I looked up the good ol' Country Women's Association recipe.

VOILÀ!

Four ingredients and so damn simple!

3 cups of self-raising flour
1/2 cup of cream
between 1 and 1 1/2 cups of milk (add a cup first and see how your dough forms)
a pinch of salt

In a large mixing bowl, cut the cream and milk into the flour and work (GENTLY!) into a dough;
Place onto a floured surface and cut out scone rounds;
Brush the tops with milk;
Bake for 10-12 minutes in a hot oven (220-230C).
Serve warm with jam and cream.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...